As a part of our Community Conversations series, our Director of Development, Monica Stiemle, recently sat down with Tim Kelly, Planning Manager for Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. and organizer of the GR Forward Downtown and River Action Plan.
To start off their conversation, Monica and Tim touched upon the following points that focus on the process to date of the GR Forward plan:
- The GR Forward planning process started in April 2014
- Community engagement has been (and will continue to be) key to the planning process
- The GR Forward plan is a mutual effort among DGRI, GRPS and the City of Grand Rapids
- The plan is composed of six different projects + goals surrounding the following: the river, downtown neighborhood, mobility, economic development, programming public space and area schools
- GR Forward has incorporated existing neighborhood plans into theirs
Community Conversations aims to encourage dialogue among city and business leaders with the public on a variety of topics influencing local communities.